Tomorrow is my 23rd birthday. 🎈🎉
[Pictuere from pinterest.com]
It’s not a “big birthday”, but it’s my birthday, nonetheless. I always get genuinely excited about birthdays. Even if we aren’t doing anything major, I always get dressed up and fix my hair. It’s a celebration of life, a reminder that we’ve successfully gotten through another year.
It’s been 5 years since I turned 18, but 7 years since I became an adult. I had my first baby at 16. That qualifies me as an adult. Don’t question it. My momma didn’t coddle me through it. I had to grow up quick. Though, I didn’t complain. I owned it. I always felt “mature” for my age…whatever that means.
It was hard and I learned a lot of lessons. I’m still learning. I hear that never stops, learning, that is.
I wrote a list of 23 life lessons that I’ve learned and feel are some of the most important ones to me and decided to share them. In no particular order, here they are:
- Family comes first and they’ll be there when no one else is.
- Life goes on. More than likely, your “big crisis” won’t matter 5 or even 1 year(s) from now.
- You don’t have to have it all figured out. No one does.
- Marriage is hard, but so is everything else in life worth having.
- Being a parent is the single most exhausting, frustrating,joyful,rewarding thing you will ever do.
- There’s no use in crying over spilt milk…unless you spent an hour pumping it. But seriously, y’all.
- Quality…not quantity. Friends, experiences, beer…you get the point.
- Money doesn’t = Happiness. Take that for what it is.
- Life isn’t fair, but life is good. It’s so good.
- Time is valuable…especially (and you’ll realize this) once you have children.
- This one is important. Forgiveness is for you more than it is for them.
- Comparison is the thief of joy. It is, y’all. When you start comparing, you stop appreciating.
- Treat others how you’d like to be treated, even if they don’t reciprocate.
- Rome wasn’t built in a day. Things take time…and that’s okay.
- Time heals almost everything. Just give it time.
- Your children are only little for a little while…let them be and enjoy it.
- Accept your past, so that it doesn’t affect your present or future.
- Life’s short. Never go to bed mad. Grudges aren’t worth it.
- Your gut is you friend. Trust & follow it.
- Being respected is far more important that being liked…and those two don’t always go hand in hand.
- It’s okay to say no. For your sanity, learn this and practice it.
- Not everything needs or deserves a response.
- Take control of your life. You’re the only person responsible for your happiness.
Bonus, as “one to grown on”…
- Celebrate today. Don’t hold out for the special occasion. Life is special and we only get one.
Thanks for reading, y’all! If I’ve inspired even just 1 reader, I’ve succeeded. If you enjoyed, give me a follow below.
Until next time…