#MOMLIFE · parenting · pregnancy · Uncategorized

Kelynn’s Birth Story…

She’s finally here! Well, to be clear, she’s been here. Our sweet little girl, Kelynn arrived on April 23. Her birth was really fast and quite the surprise! She came 11 days early!

Friday night (4/21) at about 3 a.m., I woke up and felt like I needed to go potty. I went to the bathroom and only a little liquid came out. I say liquid, because I’m not sure if it was my water or if I actually went potty (😳). This happened a few times throughout the night and the next morning.

The next day, Saturday, our oldest had a tball game at 2:30 p.m.. The game was delayed an hour and we didn’t leave there until almost 5 p.m.! Throughout the game, I felt a few “gushes”, that I thought maybe were just some normal discharge. There were no bathrooms around for me to run to and check, so I had to just wait it out.
After leaving the game, we drove to my mother in law’s house, 20 minutes away, to pick up our middle child. I ran to her bathroom as soon as we got there and checked to make sure all was good. As far as I could tell, everything was normal…meaning there was no sign of my mucous plug or “bloody show”.

After making sure I was okay, we decided to go grab dinner. We left our little one with mother in law to have a nap. My husband, our oldest and myself went to Buffalo Wild Wings at around 6:30 & stayed for about an hour. When we finished dinner, we went to Wal-Mart to grab a few things to take home.

While at Wal-Mart, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and didn’t know if it was a contraction or if I needed to use the restroom πŸ’©. I hate using public bathrooms, but I had another “gush” and this one felt kinda big, so I needed to go check. Luckily, this Wal-Mart had a family bathroom, meaning a private space for me to go and see what was going on.

As soon as I went in, I knew the pain was from needing to empty my bowels (yeah, TMI, I know.). After doing so, I stood up to pull up my pants and saw that when I stood up, I left a small puddle of clear liquid on the ground! And…I began to panic!

I hurried back to where I left my husband and kiddo. I was beginning to cry because I couldn’t believe it was happening, and I told my husband that we needed to pay and go to the hospital ASAP! He went all super-dad mode and wanted to rush out the doors! I told him I wasn’t in any pain, so no rush, we just needed to go as soon as we were done. So, we paid and left.

I called my mom so she knew what was going on and my mother in law so that she knew we were about to drop off our oldest with her. Everyone was excited and said they’d head to the hospital as soon as possible. We dropped off our oldest and headed to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at around 9:30 p.m.. A nurse checked me to see if my water had indeed broken and she said that I had partially ruptured, was dilated to a 3 and 75% effaced. They were keeping us and moved us to a delivery room at about 10/10:30. Not long after we were moved, our moms arrived and the wait was to begin.

At about 11 p.m., the on-call Dr came in and met us. She said that she would come back in to finish breaking my water in a little while and that we’d start pitocin to make things go faster, so as not to risk infection to the baby. We all agreed and the nurse started my IV and took some blood from me.

When the Dr came back in, it was 11:28 a.m. and she did what she said she would. She also checked me and said I was now dilated to a 4. Things were moving along and would only go faster.

Not long after they started the pitocin, I started having contractions. The nurse came in 15 minutes later and 30 minutes later to increase it. I wasnt doing any pain meds, but did ask for staedol (spell check? Haha) and that stuff didn’t take the edge off…but DID make me feel REAL LOOPY! I couldn’t stop laughing. We got to a 6 (maybe 8) on a scale of up to 40 on the pitocin and we were a GO! I had one last HUGE contraction and CALLED. FOR .THE. DR!

It felt like forever before the Dr finally came in! About 6 nurses were in there…including one particular nurse who felt it necessary to talk about her plans and laugh my entire delivery! πŸ™„ Besides the nurses and Dr, it was just my husband and I in the room and I loved it. I really enjoy experiencing these big life moments alone with him. He held my hand and I did 3 sets of pushing, so maybe 5-10 minutes and out she came!

On Sunday, April 23, 2017, just an hour after we started pitocin and my waters were broken, Kelynn Blake was born. Our baby girl came into the world weighing 7 pounds and 4 ounces and was 20.5 inches long! She had the most hair I had ever seen on a baby and it was black as could be! They placed her on my chest for an hour of skin to skin and it was so sweet! And…we were so tired!

After the hour was up, our sweet nurse took her to weigh and measure her. She got her first shot and all the other good stuff newborns get. Finally, dad was able to hold her for the first time. 😍❀❀❀

(Doesn’t he just look so happy!)

After a little while, our moms held her and took lots of pictures. They left around 3 a.m. and we were moved to the room we would be staying in. We had hoped to get some sleep, but little Kelynn was having a rough time and just wanted to cluster feed all night! We got in maybe an hour of sleep, while the nurses took Kelynn to get some tests done.

Our poor little baby had a really tough time in the hospital, adjusting to nursing and sleeping. Our Drs were afraid she may have had an infection because she swallowed some amniotic fluid on her way out and I wasn’t quite sure about when my water *partially* ruptured. We had a test done and had to stay 48 hours after the test, to be sure she was okay to go home. Those 3 nights and 2 days were so long! We were all ready to go home!

In the 2 days we were there, we had lots of visitors, including her 2 big sisters!

We were finally able to go home on Tuesday, April 25! We left the hospital and went straight to grab some real food! (Haha.) When we got home, Kelynn did so much better! I think she knew she was home. She slept so good and ate like a champ! We’re so proud of our third and littlest girl. We are so in love. 

There are challenges to having a newborn , but almost a month later, we are adjusting to our new life. We have a long way to go, but I believe in us as parents and a family. We can’t wait to see our little baby grow and become all she was made to be. We are so thankful for a safe delivery and healthy baby! I’m also thankful that I was able to have another natural, med-free birth. 

We love being this baby girl’s parents.

Here’s some pictures of our sweet girl in her first 3.5 weeks of life.

Thank you all for following my pregnancy journey and birth of this little one. It means a lot that you take time to read my posts. I enjoy writing and sharing with you. 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s